Friday, January 15, 2010

The Princess and the Frog

The Princess and the Frog was Disney's first 2D film in quite a while was not exactly the hit at the box office that many expected it would be, despite it's frustratingly tiered release. However, despite this, the movie is the magic of Disney from my childhood. The princess plot, the music, and the strikingly creepy voodoo villain are reminders of the days when all of us were captivated by the magic of that one special Disney movie--for me it was Beauty and the Beast. In short, the movie is simple Disney magic without expensive Disney special effects. The Princess and the Frog has a soundtrack that isn't mere score--the first one in a long time from what I remember. And the songs, which are all in a New Orleans Jazz style, are catchy and over time may make their ways into the conscious of Disney lovers just as much as much as tunes from The Lion King or The Little Mermaid. The characters a well rounded and likable and, what's best for Disney's bottom-line, a new Princess has been added to the line up. All in all the film will probably be one of only a few ventures into 2D animation now that it's box office was less than expected, but the film is like re-experiencing my Disney addicted childhood for an hour and a half. The best part for me, however, was that I experienced the film along side my nine year old sister. I got to take her, a sister date of sorts, and show her was Disney could really be when the flashy graphics were left behind and the soundtrack was more than score.

No comments:

Post a Comment